A BRIEF HISTORY OF
ANTIQUE HIGH SCHOOL/ANTIQUE NATIONAL SCHOOL
Secondary education in the province of Antique started in 1906 when eleven elementary school graduates petitioned to the Secretary of Public Instructions for the opening of a high school in San Jose, capital town of the province.
The Secretary promised the amount of P30, 000.00 and appealed to Antiqueños to put up a counterpart of P 15,000.00. The amount was easily raised through the leadership of Gov. Angel Salazar, Sr., so, in June, 1906, secondary education started with the first year class and the school was called Antique Provincial High School. The eleven petitioners were Silverio Nietes, Amador Nietes, Segundo Moscoso, Pedro Vego, Pedro Elizalde, Severo Encarnacion, Jose Natividad, Eusebio Turrecha, Demetrio Tejares, Jose Fullon and Angel Capadocia who all later became leaders in their chosen vocation.
All teachers were Americans. The subjects taught were Literature and Composition, Algebra, Geometry, Botany, Geology, Methods of Teaching, Philippine History and Gardening.
The second year was opened in 1908. The third year was added in 1918– and the school was changed to Antique High School. The following school year, the high school course was completed with the opening of the fourth year. Class 1920 was therefore the first graduating class of the AHS.
The first graduating students were Paz Hiero (Valedictorian), Delfin Nava (Salutatorian), Junny Occeña, Ambrosio Galera (President), Juan Tordesillas, Manuel Girado, Bonifacio Bangcaya, Sr., Santiago Dalumpines, Julian Huera, Perfecto Macanas, Basilio Pallon, Isidro Rubite, Manuel Tating, Benigno Vengano and Luis Palma.
Up until 1927, the high school site was in the lot where now stands the Delegate Angel Salazar, Jr. Memorial School (DASJMS). The AHS was transferred to its present site in 1927 and class 1928 was the first to graduate from this site.
World War II broke out and reached the Philippines in 1941. AHS was closed for more than three years and was reopened on August, 1945 when students came back to finish the curriculum year they left off when the war broke out.
The school underwent a major change in 1964 when, by virtue of Republic Act 3657, it was converted to a National School through the efforts of an alumnus, the late Hon. Tobias Fornier, Congressman of Antique. Enrolment rose to more than 3,000 because no tuition fee was required. The number of teachers also increased.
ANS is the only educational institution in Antique that offers “Night Secondary Education”, catering to students who work in the daytime but wish to finish high school.
The school began implementing the Special Science Curriculum in 1973. It is an enhanced curriculum in the sense that it has more Science subjects and more units for Math as compared to the regular curriculum.
In 1976, the tertiary level was opened. It offered following courses: Junior Secretarial, Associate in Agriculture and Associate in Arts. It was abolished in 2003 by virtue of a law requiring all post secondary courses to be under the Commission on Higher Education.